web stats

Saturday, April 12, 2008

McClinton

I really wish Edwards was the front-runner right now. I didn't agree with him on everything, but I think he was the best shot for a more progressive, liberal agenda. But of course, that is the very reason he is not in the race anymore, he's too threatening to the existing power structure.

So we get to choose between Clinton and Obama. Because I live in Oregon, I won't get to make my choice until May, so I haven't felt the pressure to decide on a particular candidate just yet. Personally, I think they are both centrist candidates who are not going to do much to solve some of the bigger issues facing this country, such as the need for Universal Health Care and tighter regulation of the economy. But either one will be much better than McCain, so whoever ends up with the nomination will get my vote. But I've been content to just listen to both of them and keep my options open until our May primary.

But I think that Hillary just helped me make my decision. I just saw her attacking Obama as elitist and out-of-touch with the people of Pennsylvania based on some comments he made suggesting people are "bitter" about the economic situation in this country. And guess what? I also just heard a quote from the McCain camp saying the exact same thing! I expect this kind of bullshit from the Republicans, but I cannot believe that Clinton is purposely twisting his words in order to attack him with the same Republican playbook.

Obama was not talking down to the people of Pennsylvania. People are bitter about the economic situation in this country today. They are angry that their wages aren't keeping up with the cost of living. They are pissed off that their jobs move to countries with cheaper labor pools. They are incensed that CEOs who run their companies into the ground still manage to leave with golden parachutes. They are upset that they can't adequately take care of their family's medical needs. They are infuriated that gas prices continue to rise while oil companies are making record profits and we as a country have done nothing to find alternatives. They are outraged that they are losing their homes while Wall Street gets bailed out with taxpayer money.

And I could go on and on.

So Clinton doesn't think people are "bitter"? Are they "angry"? Are they "pissed off"? Are they "incensed"? "Upset"? "Infuriated"? "Outraged"? Apparently, according to Clinton, everything is just fine. People are pulling themselves up by their bootstraps and doing what it takes to make ends meet. Does she also agree with Bush that working three jobs is uniquely American?

To deny that there is a problem in this country and that people are mad as hell about it is "The Elitist Position". I'd expect as much from McCain, but I'm disappointed when I hear it from Clinton. Obama is far from the perfect candidate as far as I'm concerned, but at least he is willing to speak some truth. People are bitter about the state of things in this country. Neither Obama or Clinton will be the people's savior, but at least Obama can admit that there is a problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home