web stats

Monday, August 14, 2006

Fear of the Unknown

"Why are we here?"

"What is the meaning of our existence?"

"What is the purpose of life?"

To be honest, I'm tired of these questions. As far as I'm concerned, we'll never be able to answer them definitively in my lifetime, or quite possible in any lifetime. And not having the answer does not bother me one bit. In fact, I rarely ever think about it. And I doubt most people spend a lot of time really thinking about it either.

And yet so many people seem to need to cling to one of the various mythologies floating about to give them a sense of meaningfullness about their existence. "If there is no God, then what is the meaning of life?" is a common question asked on atheist blogs. While no other life form on this planet seems to need an ultimate purpose, we humans are just arrogant enough to assume that it was all created just for us.

I know you're not supposed to answer a question with another question, but since I don't know the answer anyway, what else have I got?

What if the only answer to these questions is "We don't know"? Would life suddenly become meaningless? Would you struggle to get out of bed every morning? Would your personal relationships fall apart? Would food lose all taste? Would what was once exciting and fun become boring and uneventful? Would you find the nearest gun and put an end to it all?

If so, I think that says a lot more about you than it does about our existence.

4 Comments:

Blogger vjack said...

I'm sick of these questions too. Why is it that these Christians seem to think that everything must have meaning? It is this need to find meaning if everything that maintains most superstitions.

It is like when a Christian asks, "So if you don't believe in (my) god, what do you believe in?" I can say I believe in reason, critical thinking, and working toward the betterment of humanity, but I'm always tempted to ask why they think anything is necessary.

Thu Aug 17, 01:11:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Bruce said...

It is like when a Christian asks, "So if you don't believe in (my) god, what do you believe in?"

Yeah, I hate that question too. I always think to myself, "What do I believe ABOUT WHAT?". Just asking someone "what do you believe in" is a very vague open-ended question that can't really be satisfactorily answered, which I think is the whole point in asking the question in the first place. It is sort of like when men will ask "What do women really want?" not because they really care but rather to try and make the point that women don't know what they want (because it is impossible to answer that question for all women in the first place).

Also, when every Christian can give me the exact same answer for "what they believe in" then I will be willing to try and give them an answer for atheists in return.

Thu Aug 17, 05:07:00 PM 2006  
Blogger The Atheologist said...

It is well known in Christian circles that Atheists believe nothing, so when they ask,"...what do you believe in?", I usually assume that it is a rhetorical question.

Wed Aug 23, 11:57:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello everybody..!!

i wish you take my comment seriously, and i'm really sad that you didn't find answers fr your questions.

let us think of it..

if you are living in an invironment where people considered as athists, what do you think you are going to be ? of course athiest.

ok, if you lives in christian family, of course you'er going to be like them.

this goes for Judaism and Hindu people.

we finish of the first comment.

let us assume that there are people who didn't believe in athiest concept because the feel they are lost, does it mean thery are wrong?

the answer is no because there are no evidence for such think and if you think of having proofs, you have to mke debates with all religions to make sure of that.

in the other hand, the christians around us are so many, but all of them are not true believers, thus many of them lost and just have the name with out the true faith. let us assume that htere are many of them do not feel it is the wright religion, does that mean they are wrong?

of curse not.

thisthink goes for other people from all sects.

comment no. 3:

if you are in their shoes, what are you gonna do ???????

this is the critical question..!!

you may say," i have asked many of the scholars and they didn't give me any answer ", it is good to ask and think as a human being and discuss these matters with others to reach the your objective, but did you stop ?

if you don't believe in there hereafter what do you think you are going to be after death ?

all religions are around you, search the reality, find it here and there till you find the peace in your heart.

i'm tires of writing but i'm realy intrested in you.

i want you to try this site it will make you think from another perspective.

http://www.islamlife.com/news.php

it is perfect site..

i hope you get a look on its contents for your benifit..

if you wish for talking with muslims, i'm all pleasure to be one of them:

mu3n@hotmail.com

Wed May 23, 10:46:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home